Abadía de Bobbio, Italia

Abadía de Bobbio, Italia


We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.


San Columbano funda el monasterio y la biblioteca de Bobbio

En 614 San Columbano fundó la Abbazia di San Colombano en Bobbio, en la provincia de Piacenza en la región de Emilia-Romagna de Italia. Bobbio se hizo famoso como centro de resistencia al arrianismo, y la biblioteca de la abadía, fundada por Columbano con manuscritos que trajo de Irlanda y tratados que él mismo escribió, se convirtió en una de las más grandes bibliotecas de la Edad Media.

"Muchos libros de su biblioteca son más antiguos que el monasterio y esto demuestra que Bobbio recibió muchos libros de segunda mano. Me refiero especialmente a las copias de Cipriano, el códice bíblico k de origen africano, los Medici Virgilio, los manuscritos gramaticales muy antiguos, y especialmente, los textos clásicos que yacen enterrados en palimpsestos "(Bischoff, Manuscritos y bibliotecas en la época de Carlomagno [2007] 9).

En el siglo IX, Saint Dungal legó su biblioteca a la abadía. Incluía unos setenta volúmenes, entre los que se encontraba el famoso "Antifonario de Bangor".

En 982, Gerberto de Aurillac (más tarde el Papa Silvestre II) se convirtió en abad de Bobbio y, con la ayuda de numerosos tratados antiguos que encontró allí, compuso su célebre obra sobre geometría. Parece que cuando el griego era casi desconocido en Europa occidental, ciertos monjes irlandeses de Bobbio leyeron Aristóteles y Demóstenes en el griego original.

"Un catálogo del siglo X, publicado por Muratori, muestra que en ese período todas las ramas del conocimiento, divinas y humanas, estaban representadas en esta biblioteca. Muchos de los libros se han perdido, el resto hace tiempo que se dispersó y todavía se cuenta entre los tesoros principales de las colecciones posteriores que los poseen.

"En 1616, el cardenal Federico Borromeo tomó para la Biblioteca Ambrosiana de Milán ochenta y seis volúmenes, incluido el famoso" Misal Bobbio ", escrito alrededor del 911, el Antifonario de Bangor y los palimpsestos de la versión gótica de la Biblia de Ulfilas. Veintiséis se entregaron, en 1618, al Papa Pablo V para la Biblioteca del Vaticano. Muchos otros fueron enviados a Turín, donde, además de los del Archivo Real, había setenta y uno en la Biblioteca de la Universidad hasta el desastroso incendio del 26 de enero de 1904 " (Artículo de Wikipedia sobre la abadía de Bobbio, consultado el 3 de diciembre de 2008).

& diams Umberto Eco basó la ubicación de su novela de 1980-83 El nombre de la rosa, con su biblioteca laberíntica, en la abadía de Bobbio.


[Pueblos de Emilia Romagna] Bobbio: una ciudad de cine y leyenda

Esta pequeña ciudad medieval es una delicia para los viajeros, una fiesta de leyendas antiguas y cine moderno en el corazón del Alto Val Trebbia, apodado "el valle más hermoso del mundo" por nada menos que Ernest Hemingway. La ciudad tiene las cualidades culturales y naturales para merecer la membresía tanto de la Asociación de los Pueblos Más Bellos de Italia como de la Asociación Bandera Naranja.

Los orígenes de Bobbio son un misterio. Su historia está estrechamente entrelazada con la famosa Abadía de San Columbano y el legendario Puente del diablo. La ciudad está comprimida entre cuatro regiones, un paraíso para los amantes de la cultura, la naturaleza y el deporte. En resumen, un pequeño trozo de magia.

Visitar Bobbio es como retroceder en la Edad Media, para revivir el prestigio y el esplendor que alguna vez disfrutó este lugar. Gracias a la fe y la previsión de un monje irlandés, San Columbano, este remoto rincón de los Apeninos se convirtió en el corazón palpitante de la cultura religiosa medieval en Europa. De hecho, fue alrededor de la abadía donde creció por primera vez la ciudad desigual. La abadía se convirtió en un gran complejo monástico, un faro de cultura a la par de Montecassino; alberga el antiguo scriptorium y la biblioteca que inspiró "El nombre de la rosa" de Umberto Eco.

La más famosa de las muchas leyendas que rodean al Puente del Diablo dice que Satanás lo construyó en una sola noche, apoyándolo en las espaldas de sus diablillos, a cambio del alma del primer ser que lo cruzaría, solo para que San Columbano se burlara de él. enviando a través de su fiel oso. La ciudad medieval es un escenario hermoso para el Festival de Cine de Bobbio anual.Las arcadas de la Piazza Duomo son un gran lugar para tomar un café antes de la película, y las calles adoquinadas están diseñadas para explorar después. Habiendo visitado hace unos años durante un fin de semana en Brugnello, puedo recomendarlo a cualquiera que busque un lugar encantador para un breve descanso de la rutina diaria.

Historia

El nombre de la ciudad deriva de "saltus Boielis”, La versión latina del nombre celta-ligur (Boiel) tanto para el cercano monte Penice como para el arroyo que desciende a borbotones. En el siglo IV, los romanos establecieron una base estratégica aquí en la orilla occidental del río Trebbia para controlar el camino de la sal a la capital bizantina de Génova a lo largo del Val Trebbia. En 614, el monje ermitaño Columbano llegó de Irlanda y fundó un monasterio benedictino en la tierra que le dieron el rey lombardo Agilulf y la reina Theodolinda. El monasterio creció en importancia, llegando incluso a obtener su propia diócesis, hasta que Napoleón lo suprimió en 1803. La abadía fue parte de la provincia de Pavía hasta 1923, cuando quedó bajo el control de Piacenza.

Qué ver

Un punto de partida natural es el emblemático Puente del Diablo, una de las estructuras más interesantes de la región. Puede ser de origen romano, aunque ciertamente existió en el período longobardo, ya que una vez hubo salinas y un horno más allá. Sus 11 arcos surtidos que marchan a través del río Trebbia están hechos de piedra con algunas remodelaciones y superestructuras barrocas. Mientras contempla las excéntricas líneas del puente, también puede admirar la ciudad y su entorno desde el otro extremo.

Luego, salte al lugar que hizo el nombre de Bobbio: la abadía. Fundado por el monje benedictino San Columbano, fue construido originalmente donde ahora se encuentra el castillo y fue trasladado a su sitio actual en el siglo IX por el abad Agilulf. La actual basílica se construyó sobre la proto-románica en los siglos XV y XVI. Las dos características más llamativas son la tumba de San Columbano en la cripta y el piso de mosaico original de la basílica de Agilulf, una verdadera alfombra de oración para los fieles, que representa escenas bíblicas y los meses del año. Es un lugar de profunda paz. Desde la Piazza San Colombano, diríjase al castillo Malaspina-Dal Verme del siglo XIV, cuya imponente puerta de entrada cuadrada domina la ciudad. De allí a la torre del Obispo, una reliquia medieval.

Asegúrese de visitar el pequeño centro de la ciudad con arcadas, la Piazza Duomo y la catedral de Santa Maria Assunta, cuya fachada se remonta a 1463, mientras que las dos torres laterales son originales de 1075. El interior es una mezcla de estilos del neo- Gótico-bizantino de las naves a los frescos del siglo XIV. El Museo de la Abadía, en el sitio del antiguo scriptorium, lo sumerge en los mundos de los romanos, longobardos y carolingios, con exhibiciones sobre el monasterio y la ciudad.

El monasterio franciscano del siglo XIII con su claustro del siglo XVI, el palacio de la reina Theodolinda, Ocelli Mill, el Palazzo Brugnatelli del siglo XIII y la antigua ciudad de San Giuseppe con sus edificios de piedra del siglo XI son todos suyos para explorar. Y no te vayas sin visitar el Santuario de Nuestra Señora del Auxilio, una iglesia barroca con una nave añadida en 1640 a la estructura original del siglo XV.

Qué hacer

Primavera
- Camine al menos la primera etapa del Camino de los Abades.
- Visite el sitio arqueológico de Veleia Romana o el Parque Regional de Stirone y Piacenziano.
Verano
- Zambúllete en las cristalinas aguas del río Trebbia y toma el sol en sus numerosas y tranquilas playas.
- Explore el Alto Val Trebbia a pie, en bicicleta, en balsa o a caballo.
Otoño
- Sal a buscar setas, trufas y castañas, y disfruta de las distintas fiestas dedicadas a ellas.
- Visite el Museo Etnográfico del Valle de Trebbia en Callegari y los castillos del valle.
Invierno
- Penice Pass: las alegrías de un día en la nieve pueden durar hasta bien entrada la noche gracias al excelente sistema de iluminación.
- Esquí de fondo en los senderos de 7,5, 5, 3 o 2 km de la estación de Vallette.

Eventos

Festival de Cine de Bobbio: vea qué película ganará el premio Gobbo d'Oro en este prestigioso evento en el encantador claustro de la abadía.
El festival del caracol y el mercado navideño, diciembre: disfrute de los juegos y del entretenimiento infantil, recorra los animados puestos que venden regalos navideños a lo largo de las calles y pruebe los famosos caracoles Bobbio, una especialidad de Nochebuena, en los restaurantes.

Comida y vino

En Val Trebbia, la buena comida local tradicional siempre está en el menú. Prueba el aperitivo de salchicha con 3 productos DOP (tocino, salami y coppa o cuello de cerdo), un trío de primeros platos en forma de Bobbio maccheroni, malfatti (pequeños ñoquis horneados con ricotta y acelgas) y piñones con ricotta, un par de segundos platos con caracoles Bobbio y braquetone ( un salami de paleta de cerdo servido cocido con polenta o legumbres). Todo regado con uno de los más de 20 vinos DOC Colli Piacentini, naturalmente. Y las cestas quebradizas de almendras para postres también son algo extraordinario. Al hojear las tiendas del casco antiguo, encontrará una gran variedad de salami, trufas y setas porcini locales para llevar a casa.

Personajes famosos

San Columbano - El fundador de la Abadía fue recientemente convertido en santo por el Papa Benedicto XVI. Columban fue un verdadero europeo, que reconoció la unidad cultural del continente acuñando la frase "en toda Europa", en latín "totius Europae". También es el santo patrón de los motociclistas, y los ciclistas son visitantes frecuentes de la ciudad.
Marco Bellocchio: el artista de Piacenza fue uno de los cineastas y productores de cine más reconocidos de Italia. Creó el laboratorio Farecinema en 1995, que en 2005 se había convertido en el Festival de Cine de Bobbio.

Caminos y senderos para peregrinos

La primera etapa en Emilia-Romagna del Camino de los Abades comienza en Bobbio.

Peregrinos por la Via Francigena & # 8211 Bobbio

Árboles monumentales

Los amantes de la naturaleza disfrutarán de estos hermosos árboles centenarios:
- El plátano en la plaza San Francisco, Bobbio
- El roble en Cascina Stavello, Vaccarezza, Bobbio

La sección [Emilia Romagna Villages] está dedicada a los pueblos que forman parte de las asociaciones Borghi più belli d’Italia, Bandiere Arancioni del Touring Club & amp Borghi autentici d’Italia.


Descubre el pueblo de Bobbio, una joya en Emilia Romagna.

Bobbio es una ciudad italiana de 3.544 habitantes en la provincia de Piacenza, en el valle de Trebbia, en Emilia-Romagna. El territorio, habitado desde el Neolítico con asentamientos celto-ligures, pasó a ser romano en el 14 a.C. y en el siglo IV se formó la villa fortificada de Castrum Bobium, pero su historia es idéntica a la de la Abadía de San Colombano fundada en 614.

A lo largo de la Edad Media tuvo un papel político, religioso y cultural de importancia europea, y sus posesiones feudales reales e imperiales, desde las épocas lombarda y carolingia, se extendieron por vastas áreas del centro y norte de Italia. El 14 de febrero de 1014 tuvo el título de Ciudad, convirtiéndose en Diócesis, Condado Episcopal, Municipio y muros circundantes primero independientes como feudo Imperial, un breve paréntesis como Señorío de la Malaspina, luego bajo el Ducado de Milán como el condado imperial autónomo de la Dal Verme, y finalmente en el Reino de Cerdeña bajo el Saboya. Comuna libre de principios del siglo XII, luchó con la Liga Lombard contra Barbarroja en Legnano. Provincia genovesa hasta la unificación de Italia, hasta 1923 fue parte de la provincia de Pavía, luego pasó a la provincia de Piacenza. Fue obispado hasta 1986.

La ciudad alberga la nueva Unión de Municipios: la Unión Montañosa de los Valles de Trebbia y Luretta. Es un destino turístico conocido por su pasado de arte y cultura. El centro histórico ha mantenido intactas las características de la villa medieval. El símbolo de la villa es el Ponte Gobbo (o Ponte del Diavolo), un puente de piedra de origen romano, que cruza el río Trebbia con 11 arcos irregulares. Domina el Santuario de Santa María en Monte Penice, que se encuentra en la cima de la montaña homónima.

La historia de este pequeño centro se pierde en las brumas del tiempo, de hecho, la zona ha estado habitada desde tiempos prehistóricos, pero se convierte en un centro importante a partir de la colonización romana cuando se construye la parte del puente que ahora se conoce como Ponte Gobbo. , para convertirse a principios de la Edad Media en uno de los centros más importantes del monaquismo occidental. De hecho, justo en Bobbio, el monje irlandés San Colombano fundó un monasterio que en poco tiempo desarrolló una de las bibliotecas más importantes y prestigiosas de todo el cristianismo y donde aún se conservan algunos de los manuscritos latinos más antiguos y valiosos de la historia.

Bobbio es un pueblo pequeño, pero la densidad de arte y cultura que encontrarás es algo único y te enamorarás de las calles adoquinadas y los edificios de ladrillo de este pueblo medieval.

Bobbio es perfecto para visitar en cualquier estación del año: en invierno, la ciudad suele estar blanqueada por la nieve, ofreciendo una atmósfera mágica y fascinante en primavera y verano, la exuberante naturaleza de los Apeninos da lo mejor de sí misma ofreciendo un fresco refugio del calor de el valle del Po, el otoño, finalmente, le da a los bosques alrededor de la ciudad una increíble variedad de colores que van del cobrizo al rojo para panoramas realmente impresionantes.

¡Veamos en detalle las maravillas de este hermoso pueblo medieval!

Ponte Gobbo

Ponte Gobbo (también llamado Ponte Vecchio o Ponte del Diavolo) es un antiguo puente de perfil irregular, que cruza el río Trebbia en Bobbio en la provincia de Piacenza, y es el símbolo de Bobbio.

Ponte Vecchio di Bobbio, de 273 metros de largo, ha sido denominado Ponte Gobbo por el particular perfil irregular con 11 arcos desiguales entre ellos y colocados a diferentes alturas.

Este puente, de origen romano, está formado por 11 largos arcos irregulares que le dan un aspecto original y sugerente, que también está en el origen de las leyendas sobre su nombre. De hecho, se dice que el puente fue construido con este aspecto por el mismo diablo para asustar a los monjes del monasterio de San Colombano y evitar que cruzaran el río.

Hay tres pares de santuarios o cruces sobre los vanos principales. En los dos sobre el arco principal (llamado della Spessa) hay dos estatuas, que representan a San Colombano y la Madonna dell & # 8217Aiuto.

El período de construcción del Ponte Vecchio, llamado jorobado por la irregularidad y la joroba de sus arcos, no se puede fechar, pero se remonta a la época romana y se puede suponer que surgió tras la conquista romana de la entonces villa ligur-celta. sufrió numerosos remakes en las siguientes épocas.

Se han encontrado rastros de un puente más antiguo debajo que puede considerarse alto medieval, antes de la llegada de San Colombano. El edificio de arriba data del siglo VII. En el Archivo Histórico de Bobiense hay un documento de 6 de abril de 1196 que da fe del mantenimiento del puente.

Para el asentamiento de Bobbio, era vital tener una conexión segura con las diversas actividades en la margen derecha del Trebbia: las salinas termales, los baños termales romanos y longobardos, el horno del río Gambado y la carretera que conecta con el Genoveses y Lunigiana (donde el monasterio de Bobbian tenía numerosas posesiones). Debido a la naturaleza torrencial, Trebbia tiene inundaciones repentinas y devastadoras con frecuentes movimientos del lecho de grava, lo que hace que el vadeo sea problemático, especialmente en los meses de invierno.

Hasta el siglo XVI, el puente estaba compuesto por algunos arcos, un gran arco en la margen derecha del Trebbia con tres arcos más pequeños. Las crecidas del río a lo largo de los años han infligido varias heridas en el puente de piedra, que siempre fue reconstruido con paciencia incluso con modificaciones sustanciales para mejorar su seguridad y robustez.

Hacia 1590 comenzó a extenderse hacia la margen izquierda, diseñado por el maestro Magnano de Parma, durante el siglo XVII el puente pasó a tener once arcos.

Durante siglos, el puente fue destino de peregrinos y procesiones religiosas con bendiciones con la construcción de cruces e imágenes votivas cerca de las orillas (hoy algunas de ellas aún son visibles).

Abadía de San Colombano

La abadía de San Colombano es uno de los centros monásticos más importantes de Europa, el último fundado en Italia por San Colombano en 614 en Bobbio, en la provincia de Piacenza. Sometido a su dominio monástico y a la orden de San Colombano, se convirtió en benedictino alrededor del siglo IX.

La abadía a lo largo de la Edad Media fue uno de los centros monásticos más importantes de Europa. Todo el conjunto está formado por la Basílica, el Claustro, los Jardines, las celdas y el scriptorium.

Actualmente, la basílica es una parroquia del vicariato de Bobbio, Alta Val Trebbia, Aveto y Oltre Penice de la diócesis de Piacenza-Bobbio. Se levanta en el centro del pueblo que se formó con el tiempo en torno a la vasta extensión que ocupaba el monasterio.

A lo largo de la Edad Media, la abadía fue uno de los centros monásticos más importantes de Europa, lo que la convirtió en un Montecassino en el norte de Italia entre los siglos VII y XII de hecho se hizo famosa por el Scriptorium, cuyo catálogo, en 982, incluía más de 700 códices y que tras su dispersión en otras bibliotecas conservó 25 de los 150 manuscritos de literatura latina más antiguos del mundo.

Se convirtió en la abadía de la orden monástica cuyo poder se extendió en Europa gracias a numerosas abadías y monasterios fundados por sus monjes desde la época lombarda. En el norte de Italia, el feudo monástico de Bobbio se creó rápidamente y luego se reemplazó por el & # 8220 condado episcopal de Bobbio & # 8221.

El conjunto actual de la abadía se remonta, por tanto, a finales del siglo XV-principios del XVI: sólo se conserva parcialmente la estructura de la antigua basílica proto-románica, de la que se conserva un pequeño tramo del ábside circular, que forma parte del campanario. y una parte del espléndido piso de mosaico solo queda el área del refectorio del monasterio del siglo XI, ahora ocupado por el Museo de la Ciudad.

En la era napoleónica, la Abadía fue suprimida y muchos de sus activos, incluidos los preciosos códigos, se pusieron en subasta.

Hoy, lo que queda del antiguo patrimonio de los códigos Bobbiense, se conserva en varias bibliotecas: la Biblioteca Ambrosiana de Milán, la Biblioteca Vaticana de Roma, la Biblioteca Nacional de Turín y otras.

El claustro y el pasillo de la abadía están abiertos todos los días hasta las 20 en invierno y las 22 en verano.

Los servicios religiosos se llevan a cabo allí solo los días festivos. La fiesta anual es el 23 de noviembre, fiesta del santo patrón de Bobbio.

Hoy, la Abadía alberga el Museo de la Ciudad.

Castillo de Malaspina

El castillo de Malaspina Dal Verme di Bobbio es una estructura fortificada que consta de varios edificios encerrados dentro de los muros de piedra internos. Se accede al fuerte desde dos entradas, ambas ubicadas al norte.

El vestíbulo de entrada conduce a la & # 8220Sala delle Marine & # 8221 y a un salón con una gran chimenea de piedra coronada por los brazos de la familia Dal Verme. En la pared a lo largo de la escalera que conduce a los pisos superiores, hay un fresco separado, referido al siglo XVI, que representa a una Virgen con el Niño.

En 1360, Galeazzo Visconti donó el Castillo Malaspina de Verme a su nuera Isabel de Francia, esposa de su hijo Gian Galeazzo. Tendremos que esperar hasta 1436 para presenciar el paso del castillo entre los bienes de los condes de Dal Verme.

La estructura actual del castillo parece deberse a la voluntad de uno de sus descendientes, Pietro Dal Verme, que intervino a mediados del siglo XV.

La transformación de la antigua y austera mansión en una elegante residencia, cuyas fuentes datan de 1545, se debe al propio Gian Maria Dal Verme. Una importante campaña de obras debería remontarse a mediados y un poco más allá del siglo XVI. De hecho, la diferencia de nivel entre el acceso actual y la superficie de apoyo del muro escarpado, de unos 3 metros de altura, puede sugerir que algunas habitaciones que ya no eran viables estaban originalmente presentes en la planta baja.

En 1973 se llevaron a cabo intervenciones que supusieron la reconstrucción de todos los yesos, los pisos, la cubierta, la consolidación de las estructuras y parte de la escalera. El castillo de Malaspina dal Verme di Bobbio es un bien estatal gestionado directamente por la Superintendencia de patrimonio arquitectónico y paisajístico de las provincias de Parma y Piacenza.

Hoy en día, el castillo puede ser visitado por la torre desde la que se puede admirar una vista impresionante del Val Trebbia.

Museo de la Ciudad

Ubicado en las instalaciones del antiguo refectorio, cocina, lavamanos y bodega del monasterio de San Colombano, el Museo de la Ciudad ofrece un camino introductorio a la historia de la Abadía y la ciudad de Bobbio. El escenario, con estaciones de trabajo audiovisuales multimedia, aborda temas relacionados con la vida de San Colombano, la actividad del Scriptorium, la historia del monaquismo y narra las principales etapas que han caracterizado la historia de la ciudad.

Además de restaurar las habitaciones más antiguas del monasterio para uso público, el Museo de la Ciudad traza la historia de uno de los centros de cultura y espiritualidad más importantes de la Europa medieval y se prepara para una visita a la abadía y la ciudad de Bobbio.

El diseño del museo, compuesto por pantallas transparentes, en las que se abordan los temas relacionados con la vida y obra de San Colombano, la situación geopolítica de la Italia longobarda y la actividad del famoso Scriptorium, se ha trasladado al corredor del monasterio.

Sobre el portal de entrada hay una advertencia de la regla de San Colombano: Ne quid nimis (nada en exceso, sin exceso) que recordaba a los monjes ser parques de comida. En los lados superiores del portal hay dos cabezas apotropaicas, una original del siglo XIII, la otra opuesta en copia.

La primera sección está dedicada a la vida y obra de San Colombano, a las relaciones con la corte lombarda y los lazos con Irlanda, mientras que en la segunda sala se describe el conjunto de la abadía desde un punto de vista arquitectónico y la actividad del scriptorium que hizo di Bobbio el mayor centro de difusión de la cultura en el norte de Italia.

En el interior, se puede admirar una maravillosa decoración de terracota del siglo XII, el notable piso recuperado casi intacto y un fresco del siglo XV que representa la Crucifixión con San Colombano y San Benedetto.

El diseño del museo se ha renovado recientemente: es posible disfrutar de un video introductorio sobre la ciudad de Bobbio en un entorno inmersivo.

Catedral de Bobbio

La catedral de Bobbio o co-catedral de Santa Maria Assunta, es una iglesia parroquial de Bobbio en la provincia de Piacenza, catedral hasta 1986 de la diócesis de Bobbio, posteriormente, hasta 1989, co-catedral de la archidiócesis de Génova-Bobbio, ahora co-catedral de la diócesis. Piacenza-Bobbio y sede del vicariato de Bobbio, Alta Val Trebbia, Aveto y Oltre Penice.

Se levanta en el centro del tejido urbano de la ciudad, que se formó poco a poco alrededor de la vasta área entre la Abadía de San Colombano y la Piazza del Duomo: es el pueblo medieval llamado & # 8220intrinsic village & # 8221, hoy & # 8217s centro histórico, que conservó el nombre original de Bobium.

Tiene una decoración moderna en las tres naves y una del siglo XVIII en el presbiterio y en la cúpula del crucero. En la capilla de San Giovanni, a la que se accede desde el crucero derecho, se puede admirar un maravilloso fresco de la segunda mitad del siglo XV, que representa la Anunciación.

Además de la iglesia catedral, el conjunto de la catedral está compuesto por varios edificios, el Palacio Episcopal con el Museo Diocesano de la Catedral, los jardines y el oratorio, y el Seminario Viejo que hoy alberga el Archivo histórico de Bobiense con el Claustro del siglo XVII.

Junto a la catedral, se encuentra el obispo del siglo XI y el palacio # 8217 que alberga el Museo de la Catedral.

La exposición recorre diez salas, con obras que ilustran la historia de la diócesis de Bobbio, el palacio episcopal y la catedral. El vestíbulo de entrada cuenta la historia de la diócesis a través de mapas, documentos y testimonios del último obispo Mons. Pietro Zuccarino. La siguiente sala, en cuyas paredes se puede admirar el gran fresco con retratos de los obispos de Bobbio, alberga vestimentas pastorales y episcopales. En la tercera sala se expone el tesoro de la Catedral, compuesto por tallas de madera, platería y tejidos.

El itinerario incluye la sala de frescos (sala IV) que alberga una pintura mural del siglo XVIII que representa la Adoración de los Magos, la sala del Archivo (sala V) que conserva intactos los muebles de madera originales y la capilla del obispo y # 8217 con una pintura de Domenico Buonviso de 1624 (sala VI). Testimonio de fe popular son los relicarios que se exhiben en la sala contigua (sala VII), mientras que las últimas salas están dedicadas respectivamente al mobiliario de las parroquias de la diócesis (sala VIII) y obras pictóricas (sala IX). El recorrido finaliza con una sala dedicada a Sant & # 8217Antonio Maria Gianelli con documentos y actos sinodales que le pertenecieron (sala X).

La catedral está abierta todos los días con horario continuo.

Monasterio de San Francesco

El monasterio de San Francesco, junto con su iglesia, es un antiguo edificio eclesiástico en Bobbio en la provincia de Piacenza.

Se encuentra cerca de la aldea de Corgnate (ant. Codognarum), una vez fuera del centro del tejido urbano de la ciudad, en cuanto al Santuario de la Madonna dell & # 8217Aiuto: es el pueblo medieval llamado & # 8220 aldea extrínseca & # 8221, siguiente al actual centro histórico & # 8217s, que conservó el nombre original de & # 8220Bobium & # 8221.

La fachada de la iglesia se abre en la homónima Piazza San Francesco, junto a la oficina de turismo y el nuevo aparcamiento público.

El monasterio de San Francesco y la iglesia fueron construidos hacia 1230, de hecho la construcción se habría iniciado en un terreno donado por los monjes de San Colombano al mismo San Francesco que llegó a Bobbio para hacer las paces a una de las numerosas disputas que surgieron. entre el abad del monasterio y el obispo de Bobbio, sobre las antiguas atribuciones de tierras monásticas.

En un documento de 1756 se menciona la antigua existencia de una iglesia y un pequeño monasterio con celda-dormitorio ocupados por el mismo San Francisco. Lo que sin documentación histórica exacta se recuerda tradicionalmente como el & # 8220paso de San Francisco de Asís a Bobbio & # 8221, podría resultar menos imaginativo dado el cumplimiento real de un viaje del santo al norte de Italia entre 1210-12.

Las obras finalizaron en 1233 y Bobbio es el asentamiento franciscano más antiguo del norte de Italia, construido en una ciudad de enorme fama monástica y destino de peregrinaciones a lo largo de la Via Francigena y la Via degli Abati. En 1436 se levantará también en la villa franciscana el monasterio de Santa Chiara, hoy cabecera municipal, y el hospital de San Lázaro destruido en 1472.

El complejo monástico estaba rodeado por poderosos muros, demolidos en 1800 después de la supresión monástica.

En el siglo XV el monasterio, hasta ahora independiente, pasó a la congregación de los frailes menores de Bolonia.

En 1710 la iglesia sufrió cambios significativos y fue re-consagrada en 1722.

En 1783 se produjo el paso a los frailes menores de Turín.

El edificio monástico fue ocupado por los napoleones en 1802, tras la expulsión de los frailes franciscanos la iglesia sufrió cambios considerables convirtiéndose en un almacén.

Posteriormente, el Marqués Malaspina adquirió todo el complejo renovándolo.

El claustro del siglo XV es sugerente, sostenido en tres lados por pilares achaparrados que sostienen cuatro vanos a cada lado cubiertos por bóvedas de crucería, sobre las cuales discurre una logia con techo de madera con columnas con capiteles medievales.

Actualmente existe un proyecto de recuperación arquitectónica privada para la parte monástica, mientras que la iglesia fue donada por los propietarios al municipio. Para la iglesia existe actualmente un proyecto de recuperación arquitectónica y transformación en auditorio de la ciudad.

Santuario de Santa María en Monte Penice

El antiguo santuario de Santa María en Monte Penice se encuentra en la cima del Monte Penice a 1.460 m., Es un edificio eclesiástico no parroquial en el municipio de Bobbio en la provincia de Piacenza, en el límite con la provincia de Pavía. Dedicado a la Virgen, se remonta a un edificio primitivo del siglo VII luego ampliado varias veces. Ubicado en un punto particularmente panorámico, desde su plaza se puede disfrutar de una amplia vista no solo del valle de Trebbia y el valle de Staffora, sino de toda la zona de Emilia y Pavía y en días particulares incluso los Alpes cubiertos de nieve son visibles.

A la cumbre del monte Penice se accede por una carretera de unos 4 km de longitud, que asciende desde el puerto de Penice hasta los 1149 m., Donde pasa la carretera provincial, antigua carretera estatal 461 del Passo del Penice (Bobbio-Voghera). También se puede llegar a la ubicación a través de Val Tidone a través de la antigua carretera estatal 412 de Val Tidone (Castel San Giovanni-Romagnese-Passo Penice).

Sus orígenes se pierden a lo largo de los siglos. Las fuentes históricas atestiguan que en este pico la Virgen ha sido venerada durante más de 1350 años, por una promesa hecha por San Colombano a la reina de los lombardos Theodolinda en el siglo VII. De los gobernantes lombardos, el santo misionero irlandés tenía el territorio en el que fundó la abadía de San Colombano en 614. Parece que el edificio fue construido sobre un templo pagano celta-ligur.

De hecho, se encontró un artefacto que data del siglo I-II, ahora conservado en Génova en el castillo de Montegalletto. El artefacto es una estatuilla de bronce de 96 mm que representa a un sacerdote ofreciendo una deidad pagana.

En 622, el rey lombardo Adaloaldo, que tomó el relevo de su padre Agilulfo, con su madre Teodolinda que llegó a Bobbio para visitar la tumba de Colombano, subió en oración a la cima del monte Penice, antes de bajar a la ciudad.

En el siglo XI, el santuario ya existe en su tamaño actual. La iglesia tiene el antiguo título de Madre de Dios, que más tarde se convirtió en & # 8220Santa Maria in Monte Penice & # 8221 o más comúnmente & # 8220Madonna del Penice & # 8221.

En 1073 se renovó el edificio original y otras obras de restauración se remontan a 1619

Durante siglos el santuario perteneció a las numerosas posesiones del monasterio de San Colombano, junto con las parroquias de San Cristoforo, Dezza y Ceci luego hasta principios del siglo XIX, cuando pasó a la diócesis de Bobbio convirtiéndose en el principal centro de culto mariano. del Area.

In the early 1900s the front porch was built (a postcard owned by the Diocesan historical archive Piacenza – Bobbio dated 1904 still shows the church without a portico), while the statue of the Redeemer was placed on October 14, 1900 the new bell tower was built in 1967. On September 12, 1927 the 3 km carriage road that leads to the summit from the Penice pass was completed.

The stone building has undergone several renovations. In recent years it has been completely renovated: on the outside you can admire the exposed stone, inside the structure has recently returned to its original splendor. New the altar and the ambo. The sacristy was also recovered and the premises used for the public were redone. Inside the building you can admire the precious wooden statue of the Virgin with the Child on her lap which dates back to the period between the end of the 1500s and the beginning of the 1600s. Also worthy of note is the statue of San Bartolomeo, original from the 18th century .

In 2009, by the rector Don Angiolino Bulla, the interior of the church was decorated with precious oriental icons.

The summit of the mountain and the sanctuary are the destination of numerous excursions both on foot and on horseback, once but also to this day they were processions of pilgrims. There is also an ancient, largely dirt track that climbs from Bobbio called the medieval path to the Sanctuary of Monte Penice.


Bobbio

Bobbio is situated on the left bank of river Trebbia, in an area rich in water and settlements since the Neolithic era.

The numerous finds testify the presence of various populations: Ligurians, Celts and after 14 B.C. the Romans.
The nucleus of Bobium rose in 14 B.C. but its history is inextricably linked to the one of the Abbey of San Colombano founded by the cenobite monk Columbanus who reached it in 614 when it received this territory as a gift from the Langobard King Agilulf.

It was a donation of great political significance as Bobbio controlled the great caravan route, the salt road, that from Piacenza, along the Valtrebbia reaches Genoa - a cornerstone of the Byzantines. In Bobbio, Columbanus found only a small-dilapidated church, dedicated to Saint Peter, and decided to restore it. The convent rapidly became populated: already in 643 it counted 150 monks. The first houses inhabited by citizens rose around it.

The Abbey of Bobbio, with its schools, its library, his Scriptorium and its economic organization, quickly became a political power too. Bobbio possessed goods in Valtrebbia, Val Staffora, Val Tidone, val d'Aveto, in the Liguria region, Monferrato and the Langhe, and arrived also at the gates of Turin, around Lake Garda, from Salò to Bardolino, on the Lakes of Mantua, in Piacenza, Ravenna, Genoa, Lucca and Pavia. A rich feud in which the manorial system reached its perfection.

The area, on which the inhabited part develops, is bordered by the River Trebbia and dominated by the Sanctuary of Madonna del Penice, which is located on the namesake mountain. The heart of the village has maintained the medieval architecture perfectly intact.
The symbol of the village is Ponte Gobbo (or the Devil&rsquos bridge), entirely built in stone in Roman times, with a particular profile consisting of 11 irregular arches. The bridge connects the village to the other side of the river and from it, with a brief and suggestive walk on its 'bumps', you can admire the profile of the village, the Monte Penice and the territory surrounding the Trebbia.

In the shops of the old town centre, you can find many typical products of the area, from local wines to jams or organic honey produced by local companies. But also a wide choice of local meats or sweets and bakery products such as tasty salty donuts or the famous almond cake, or even the fragrant porcini mushrooms picked on the surrounding mountains and the truffles. Instead, for those who are looking for a handicraft souvenir in Contrada dell&rsquoOspedale you will find the workshops of carpenters and local artists where you can find artefacts or paintings depicting picturesque corners of the city.

In addition to being rich in art and culture, Bobbio boasts a long series of typical local dishes (that represent the culinary tradition of Piacenza) that have been handed down from many generations, and represent another typical feature of the socio-cultural melting pot that benefited from during the centuries. You should taste the maccheroni alla bobbiese, fresh pasta handmade by using a knitting needle dressed with a stew sauce. The snails alla bobbiese, traditional Christmas Eve dish that you can often find in the winter period and the delicious brittle made with almonds and sugar with which the skilled hands of local producers know how to make surprising shapes. And also pine nuts with ricotta or pìn (in dialect pé da lésa: slide foot, for the typical shape), green gnocchetti with ricotta cheese, traditionally served with a mushroom sauce brachettone alla bobbiese (bràcton, a stuffed pig&rsquos trotter made with pork shoulder, pickled or aged).

Village of Bobbio
Municipality of Bobbio
Province of Piacenza
Emilia-Romagna Region

Inhabitants: 3.577
Surface area: 106.53 sq. Km
Altitude center: 272 m a.s.l.

The Municipality is part of:
I Borghi più belli d'Italia

Expresiones de gratitud
Orange Flag - Italian Touring Club

Municipality of Bobbio
Piazza San Francesco - 29022 Bobbio PC
phone +39 0523962815

Patronal feast
San Colombano - November 23rd


Abbey of Bobbio: photos, description Abbazia di San Colombano)

The Abbey of Bobbio, is also known as San Colombano, was founded by the Irish Holy Columbanus in 614, the year. Around it soon sprang up the town of Bobbio, province of Piacenza in the Italian region Emilia-Romagna). In his time the Abbey was known as a center of resistance to Arianism, and also because of its huge library. It is here that the unfolding events of the legendary novel by Umberto Eco "the name of the rose".

In 590, the year the Lombards king Agilulf married a Catholic Theodelinda and under her influence, and with the participation of the Holy Columban, made the decision about the transition to Christianity. For the sacrament of Agilulf gave Columbano ruined Church and devastated the earth in the town of Abovian Holy asked it is a remote and secluded place to live alone. Near the small Church of San Pietro was soon built a monastery, which after the death colombana had to go through a period of violent resistance to Arianism current in the Christian faith, asserted the supremacy of the Lord-the Son (in the middle of the 7th century). Thanks to the efforts of local monks, every year more and more of the Lombards-ariantsev converted to Catholicism. The fame of the Abbey had reached the shores of Ireland, and the reputation colombana and founded brainchild has attracted in Italy many of his followers. Only in 1803, the year the Abbey of Bobbio was abolished during the reign of Napoleon.

The current Basilica of San Colombano was built in 1456-1530, respectively, in the Renaissance style. It holds the baptismal font in the 9th century. The Central nave is decorated with frescoes of the artist of the 16th century Bernardino Lanzani, and installed in the crypt the sarcophagus with the relics of St. Columban and the first two abbots. Here, in the crypt, deserves the attention of the mosaic floor of the 12th century.

The bell tower of the late 9th century, and a smaller apse of the Church belonged to a more ancient structure of the Romanesque period. Torre del Comune built together with the Basilica in the 15th century.


Abbey and Diocese of Bobbio

The diocese (Ebovium, o Bobium Dioecesis Eboviensis, o Bobiensis), which is suffragan to the Archiepiscopal See of Genoa, is coterminous with the civil district of Bobbio. This district is situated in the Province of Pavia and contains, besides Bobbio, its chief town, only two small villages and eighteen communes. The diocese was suppressed from 1803 to 1817, during which time it was annexed to Alexandria, then to Casala. Pius VII re-established it in 1818. Under Bishop Antonio Gianelli a congregation of priests was formed in 1839 under the title of Oblates of St. Alphonsus Liguori. They devote themselves especially to hearing confessions in prisons and hospitals, as well as to spreading good literature among the people. Bobbio also possesses a Congregation of Daughters of Mary, popularly known as Gianelliane.

HISTORIA

The origin of the See of Bobbio, indeed of the town itself, is due to the establishment of a monastery here by the Irish saint, Columban, in 614. The Lombards, with other savage tribes, had invaded northern Italy under their leader Alboin in 568. A half-Arian, half-heathen horde, wherever they passed all the horrors of wanton destruction and cruelty marked their track. But at length the new barbarian ruler Agilulph, became less hostile and by degrees even not unfavorably disposed towards the Catholic Faith. Queen Theodelinda, whom he married in 590, was a fervent Catholic she had wonderful influence over her consort, and at last he was converted by the preaching of Columban. From the day of his baptism, Agilulph displayed great zeal for the conversion of his subjects, and for this purpose gave St. Columban a ruined church and devastated district known as Ebovium, which, before the Lombards seized it, had formed part of the Patrimony of St. Peter. Columban had set his heart on this secluded place, for while intent on instructing the Lombards he chose solitude for his monks and himself. By the side of this little church, which was dedicated to St. Peter, soon arose the walls of an abbey. Here the nucleus of what was to be the most celebrated library in Italy was formed by the Mss. which Columban had brought from Ireland and the treatises of which he himself was the author.

The sainted founder of Bobbio was laid to rest (23 November, 615), but his crosier passed into worthy hands. The names of St. Attala (627) and St. Bertulf (640) will live forever in ecclesiastical history. Both were conspicuous for holiness and learning, and both inherited Columban s apostolic spirit. It was indeed sorely needed, for a reaction towards Arianism set in, which became formidable under the Arian king, Rotharis (636-652). Arioald, the immediate predecessor of Rotharis, who became a Catholic, had before his conversion caused St. Bladulf, a monk of Bobbio, to be assassinated, because Bladulf would not salute him, as being an Arian. It is said that Attala restored Bladulf to life and delivered Arioald from a diabolical possession, the punishment of his crime and that this two-fold miracle led to Arioald's conversion. In 628, when St. Bertulf made a pilgrimage to Rome, Honorius I exempted Bobbio from episcopal jurisdiction, thus making the abbey immediately subject to the Holy See. Under the next abbot, Bobolen, the rule of St. Benedict was introduced. At first its observance was optional, but in e course of time it superseded the more austere rule hitherto in use, and Bobbio joined the Congregation of Monte Cassino. In 643, at the request of Rotharis and Queen Gundelberga, Pope Theodore I granted to the Abbot of Bobbio the use of the mitre and other pontificals. It has even been asserted that Bobbio had a bishop, named Peter Aldus, as early as the seventh century, but according to the best authorities (Ughelli, Gams, and others), the See of Bobbio was not founded till four centuries later, although recent investigation has shown that the name of its first bishop really was Peter Aldus (Savio, 158).

From the seventh century on, in the midst of widespread turmoil and ignorance, Bobbio remained a home of piety and culture. Through the efforts of St. Columban's disciples, increasing numbers of the Lombards were received into the Church. But during the first half of the seventh century, the large tract of country lying between Turin and Verona, Genoa and Milan, was m a very irreligious and disturbed state and even idolatry was not unknown. In fact not until the reign of the usurper Grimoald (663-673), himself a convert, was the bulk of the nation brought into the Church. But from that time Arianism disappeared in the West. The historians of the abbey regard as one of its chief glories the prominent part which it took in the final contest with this heresy. Theodelinda's nephew, the pious Arribert (653--663), restored all the lands of Bobbio which belonged by right to the Prince of the Apostles. Arribert II also gladly confirmed this restitution to John VII in 707. The unruly Lombards soon dispossessed the pope, but in 756 Aistulf was compelled by Pepin to give up the lands. In 774 Charlemagne made liberal grants to the Abbey. In 1153 Frederick Barbarossa confirmed by two charters various rights and possessions. Thus it came to pass that the abbots were for centuries entrusted with a large administration of temporals.

The fame of Bobbio reached the shores of Ireland, and the memory of Columban was dear to the hearts of his countrymen. Bobolen's successor was St. Comgall who had resigned his see in Ireland in order to become a monk of Bobbio St. Cummian who did the same died in the abbey about 730 (Holder-Egger in "Mon. Germ. Hist.") and the learned St. Dungal (d. after 827) bequeathed to the abbey his valuable library, consisting of some seventy volumes, among which was the famous "Antiphonary of Bangor ". A tenth-century catalogue, published by Muratori, shows that at that period every branch of knowledge, divine and human, was represented in this library. Many of the books have been lost, the rest have long since been dispersed and are still reckoned among the chief treasures of the later collections which possess them. In 1616 Cardinal Federigo Borromeo took for the Ambrosian Library of Milan eighty-six volumes, including the famous "Bobbio Missal", written about 911, the Antiphonary of Bangor", and the palimpsests of Ulfila's Gothic version of the Bible. Twenty-six volumes were given, in 1618, to Paul V for the Vatican Library. Many others were sent to Turin, where, besides those in the Royal Archives, there were seventy-one in the University Library until the disastrous fire of 26 January, 1904. As scholars of later ages have owed a great deal to the Bobbio manuscripts, so, too, did those of the tenth century. Gerard of Aurillac, for example, who was afterwards Pope Sylvester II, became Abbot of Bobbio in 982 and with the aid of the numerous ancient treatises which he found there he composed his celebrated work on geometry. And indeed it appears that at a time when Greek was almost unknown in western Europe, the Irish monks of Bobbio read Aristotle and Demosthenes in the original tongue.

In the year 1014, the Emperor Henry II, on the occasion of his own coronation in Rome, obtained from Benedict VIII the erection of Bobbio as a see. Peter Aldus, its first bishop, had been Abbot of Bobbio since 999, and his episcopal successors for a long time lived in the abbey, where many of them had been monks. According to Ughelli and others, Bobbio was made a suffragan see of Genoa in 1133 but Savio finds this subordination mentioned for the first time in a Bull of Alexander III, dated 19 April, 1161. From time to time disputes arose between the bishop and the monks, and in 1199 Innocent III issued two Bulls, restoring the abbey in spirituals and temporals, and empowering the bishop to depose an abbot if within a certain time he did not obey.


Attractions in Bobbio

Saint Columbanus Abbey

The Saint Columbanus abbey is a large complex but only a few areas are open to the public. The ground floor corridor, the yard, and the main cloister can be explored by visitors. The abbey is also home to the Abbey museum which has an impressive collection of artworks and objects that date back to the Renaissance, Medieval and Roman age. The Town Museum is also located in the complex.

Hills over Bobbio

Basilica of Saint Columbanus, Bobbio

The Basilica of Saint Columbanus was originally built in the 15 th century over the remains of an old 10th-century church. The interior of the basilica is extremely beautiful with nave frescoes dating back to the 16th century. There is a 15th-century gothic wooden choir, a 12th-century mosaic, a marble sarcophagus dating back to the 15th century, two marble tombstones, and a beautiful 12th-century gate.

Main Square in Bobbio

Malaspina Dal-Verme Castle

The castle was built in the 14 th century on a hill that overlooks the town. Over the centuries, the castle has been damaged many times and the remains of the castle, two small towers and the defense walls that still exist are open to visitors. The castle provides good views of the town and the surrounding landscape.

The Cathedral of Bobbio

The cathedral of Bobbio was originally built in the 11 th century and has two large towers. Much of the façade that visitors can see today dates back to the 15 th century and the three portals of the cathedral are done in the gothic style of architecture. The interior of the cathedral has three naves and beautiful 18th-century decorations. Saint John Chapel can be visited through the right transept where beautiful 15th-century frescoes of the Annunciation are done.

Stone buildings in Bobbio

The Old Bridge

The old bridge is 280 meters long and has eleven unequal arches. It is believed that the bridge dates back to the Roman age, however, it is first documented in 1196. The bridge is known by several different names, the Devil’s Bridge and the Hunchback Bridge due to its irregular shape. Several legends are attached to the origin of the bridge.

Cathedral in Bobbio

Getting to Bobbio

Bobbio is located 45 km from Piacenza. The best way to reach the town is by driving down visitors who have their own car can easily drive down to Bobbio. From Piacenza visitors can take the state highway 45 Piacenza-Genova to reach Bobbio. The landscape here is quite beautiful, the highway runs through the valley of the River and has some very beautiful views so driving down to the town is quite enjoyable. Along the road, visitors would also come across several small villages.

Moving Around the Town

Bobbio is spread over an area of 106 sq km, but most areas can be explored on foot. The churches, monuments and the important attractions are all concentrated close to the center of the town so it is easy to visit most attractions on foot. Those who have their own car can also visit the other parts of the town by car. The locals mainly use the state buses for commuting so visitors can use them as well if they do not have a car.

Stay and Accommodation

Bobbio is quite a small town and although many visitors come to the nearby Trebbia River, there aren’t many good hotels in the town. Most visitors come to Bobbia as a day excursion for Piacenza and the nearby towns and do not generally spend a night in the town. There are only a handful of farm houses and old country homes on the outskirts of the town that are available on rent to visitors. Most good hotels are located in the nearby centers of Piacenza and Pavia so visitors can stay there and visit Bobbio during the day. There are a few B&B in the town like B&B San Nicola and B&B Dar Dom where visitors can stay.

Bobbio River

Eating in Bobbio

Although there aren’t many hotels in the town, there are plenty of options in terms of restaurants and pizzerias. Bobbio has quite a lot of good places to dine out where visitors can find simple Italian dishes made from local ingredients, good quality olive oil and local cheese varieties. Good wines are available almost everywhere and there are also a few places where visitors can try traditional desserts and pastries. Some of the best restaurants in Bobbio are Ristorante II Vecchio Mulino, Entoca San Nicola, Ristorante Ra Ca Longa, Ristorante La Scarpone, Ristorante Replica and Ristorante Locanda Nobili.

Shopping in Bobbio

There are only a few places in Bobbio where visitors can shop. The local old market where visitors shop for their daily requirements is the best place to shop. There are a few good shops that sell terracotta pottery and artifacts in the older section of the town. Apart from this visitors can also purchase locally made fabrics, textiles and food items. The best things to purchase in Bobbio are cheese, olive oil and local wine.


Bible Encyclopedias

The diocese (Ebovium, o Bobium Dioecesis Eboviensis, o Bobiensis), which is suffragan to the Archiepiscopal See of Genoa, is coterminous with the civil district of Bobbio. This district is situated in the Province of Pavia and contains, besides Bobbio, its chief town, only two small villages and eighteen communes. The diocese was suppressed from 1803 to 1817, during which time it was annexed to Alexandria, then to Casala. Pius VII re-established it in 1818. Under Bishop Antonio Gianelli a congregation of priests was formed in 1839 under the title of Oblates of St. Alphonsus Liguori. They devote themselves especially to hearing confessions in prisons and hospitals, as well as to spreading good literature among the people. Bobbio also possesses a Congregation of Daughters of Mary, popularly known as Gianelliane.

The origin of the See of Bobbio, indeed of the town itself, is due to the establishment of a monastery here by the Irish saint, Columban, in 614. The Lombards, with other savage tribes, had invaded northern Italy under their leader Alboin in 568. A half-Arian, half-heathen horde, wherever they passed all the horrors of wanton destruction and cruelty marked their track. But at length the new barbarian ruler Agilulph, became less hostile and by degrees even not unfavorably disposed towards the Catholic Faith. Queen Theodelinda, whom he married in 590, was a fervent Catholic she had wonderful influence over her consort, and at last he was converted by the preaching of Columban. From the day of his baptism, Agilulph displayed great zeal for the conversion of his subjects, and for this purpose gave St. Columban a ruined church and devastated district known as Ebovium, which, before the Lombards seized it, had formed part of the Patrimony of St. Peter. Columban had set his heart on this secluded place, for while intent on instructing the Lombards he chose solitude for his monks and himself. By the side of this little church, which was dedicated to St. Peter, soon arose the walls of an abbey. Here the nucleus of what was to be the most celebrated library in Italy was formed by the Mss. which Columban had brought from Ireland and the treatises of which he himself was the author.

The sainted founder of Bobbio was laid to rest (23 November, 615), but his crosier passed into worthy hands. The names of St. Attala (627) and St. Bertulf (640) will live forever in ecclesiastical history. Both were conspicuous for holiness and learning, and both inherited Columban's apostolic spirit. It was indeed sorely needed, for a reaction towards Arianism set in, which became formidable under the Arian king, Rotharis (636-652). Arioald, the immediate predecessor of Rotharis, who became a Catholic, had before his conversion caused St. Bladulf, a monk of Bobbio, to be assassinated, because Bladulf would not salute him, as being an Arian. It is said that Attala restored Bladulf to life and delivered Arioald from a diabolical possession, the punishment of his crime and that this two-fold miracle led to Arioald's conversion. In 628, when St. Bertulf made a pilgrimage to Rome, Honorius I exempted Bobbio from episcopal jurisdiction, thus making the abbey immediately subject to the Holy See. Under the next abbot, Bobolen, the rule of St. Benedict was introduced. At first its observance was optional, but in e course of time it superseded the more austere rule hitherto in use, and Bobbio joined the Congregation of Monte Cassino. In 643, at the request of Rotharis and Queen Gundelberga, Pope Theodore I granted to the Abbot of Bobbio the use of the mitre and other pontificals. It has even been asserted that Bobbio had a bishop, named Peter Aldus, as early as the seventh century, but according to the best authorities (Ughelli, Gams, and others), the See of Bobbio was not founded till four centuries later, although recent investigation has shown that the name of its first bishop really was Peter Aldus (Savio, 158).

From the seventh century on, in the midst of widespread turmoil and ignorance, Bobbio remained a home of piety and culture. Through the efforts of St. Columban's disciples, increasing numbers of the Lombards were received into the Church. But during the first half of the seventh century, the large tract of country lying between Turin and Verona, Genoa and Milan, was in a very irreligious and disturbed state and even idolatry was not unknown. In fact not until the reign of the usurper Grimoald (663-673), himself a convert, was the bulk of the nation brought into the Church. But from that time Arianism disappeared in the West. The historians of the abbey regard as one of its chief glories the prominent part which it took in the final contest with this heresy. Theodelinda's nephew, the pious Arribert (653--663), restored all the lands of Bobbio which belonged by right to the Prince of the Apostles. Arribert II also gladly confirmed this restitution to John VII in 707. The unruly Lombards soon dispossessed the pope, but in 756 Aistulf was compelled by Pepin to give up the lands. In 774 Charlemagne made liberal grants to the Abbey. In 1153 Frederick Barbarossa confirmed by two charters various rights and possessions. Thus it came to pass that the abbots were for centuries entrusted with a large administration of temporals.

The fame of Bobbio reached the shores of Ireland, and the memory of Columban was dear to the hearts of his countrymen. Bobolen's successor was St. Comgall who had resigned his see in Ireland in order to become a monk of Bobbio St. Cummian who did the same died in the abbey about 730 (Holder-Egger in "Mon. Germ. Hist.") and the learned St. Dungal (d. after 827) bequeathed to the abbey his valuable library, consisting of some seventy volumes, among which was the famous "Antiphonary of Bangor". A tenth-century catalogue, published by Muratori, shows that at that period every branch of knowledge, divine and human, was represented in this library. Many of the books have been lost, the rest have long since been dispersed and are still reckoned among the chief treasures of the later collections which possess them. In 1616 Cardinal Federigo Borromeo took for the Ambrosian Library of Milan eighty-six volumes, including the famous "Bobbio Missal", written about 911, the Antiphonary of Bangor", and the palimpsests of Ulfila's Gothic version of the Bible. Twenty-six volumes were given, in 1618, to Paul V for the Vatican Library. Many others were sent to Turin, where, besides those in the Royal Archives, there were seventy-one in the University Library until the disastrous fire of 26 January, 1904. As scholars of later ages have owed a great deal to the Bobbio manuscripts, so, too, did those of the tenth century. Gerard of Aurillac, for example, who was afterwards Pope Sylvester II, became Abbot of Bobbio in 982 and with the aid of the numerous ancient treatises which he found there he composed his celebrated work on geometry. And indeed it appears that at a time when Greek was almost unknown in western Europe, the Irish monks of Bobbio read Aristotle and Demosthenes in the original tongue.

In the year 1014, the Emperor Henry II, on the occasion of his own coronation in Rome, obtained from Benedict VIII the erection of Bobbio as a see. Peter Aldus, its first bishop, had been Abbot of Bobbio since 999, and his episcopal successors for a long time lived in the abbey, where many of them had been monks. According to Ughelli and others, Bobbio was made a suffragan see of Genoa in 1133 but Savio finds this subordination mentioned for the first time in a Bull of Alexander III, dated 19 April, 1161. From time to time disputes arose between the bishop and the monks, and in 1199 Innocent III issued two Bulls, restoring the abbey in spirituals and temporals, and empowering the bishop to depose an abbot if within a certain time he did not obey.


Ver el vídeo: Bobbio e il suo borgo medioevale Valtrebbia, Piacenza - Italia - New Version